Health Benefits at a Glance:
Glutathione, Cysteine & C is a mix of antioxidants and vitamin C, which works together in preventing free radicals from damaging your cells, and provides detoxifying agents. Furthermore, Glutathione can also help neutralize free radicals. Simultaneously, it also provides all of the many health benefits of essential Vitamin C, which supports proper iron absorption, collagen formation and more.
Why it Works:
Oxidative stress is believed to be a key cause of bodily aging. Toxins from the environments we as humans live and work in can be metabolized into compounds known as free radicals. Free radicals can react with normal cellular structures which in turn can cause damage and cell death. One of nature’s best defences against free radicals are antioxidants. These compounds sacrifice themselves when reacting with free radicals, preventing them from damaging your cells. Glutathione, Cysteine & C are all antioxidants and can provide a good defense against free radicals by working together, while simultaneously providing you with the health benefits of the essential vitamin C.
Glutathione is one of the body’s most important and powerful antioxidants . It is a multifunctional molecule which is naturally produced by your body. Glutathione is composed of three amino acids (L-glutamic acid, L-cysteine and glycine) and can be found in every cell. It can protect the cells by neutralising free radicals. Glutathione works closely together with vitamin C, which keeps glutathione in its reduced form so that it can continue to provide free radical-quenching effects [2-5].
Cysteine also helps synthesize glutathione [6-9]. Cysteine plays a crucial role in many bodily functions and acts as a detoxifying agent, promoting a normal functioning immune system.
Vitamin C is a vital cofactor to the formation of collagen, the connective tissue which supports arterial walls, skin, bones, and teeth [10-12]. Vitamin C can be found in citrus fruit, and also has antioxidant properties as it can eliminate free radicals from your body and help protect tissues from oxidative stress.
The Science Behind the Product:
L-cysteine is a conditionally essential amino acid, one of only three sulfur-containing amino acids. Taurine and L-methionine are other two sulfur-containing amino acids. Cysteine plays a role in the sulfation cycle, acting as a sulfur donor in phase II detoxification and as a methyl donor in the conversion of homocysteine to methionine [13-15].
Glutathione is a peptide molecule synthesized in the body from the three amino acids known as L-glutamic acid, L-cysteine and glycine. Vitamin C plays an important role to keep glutathione in its reduced form so that it can continue to provide free radical-quenching effects [2-5].
Vitamin C is a white, crystalline, water-soluble substance found in citrus fruits. Vitamin C is an antioxidant which scavenges free radicals in the body and protects tissues from oxidative stress [10-12,16-20]. Vitamin C also supports the absorption of iron, while preventing its oxidation [21,22].
How to Use:
- Take one (1) capsule one to three times daily on an empty stomach, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- Antioxid Redox Signal. 2011 Oct 1;15(7):1957-97.
- Clin Chim Acta. 2003 Jan;327(1-2):187-8.
- Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1991 Jun 1;88(11):4656-60.
- Plant Physiol. 2011 Jan;155(1):2-18.
- Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 May;71(5):1194-200.
- Biol Chem. 2009 Mar;390(3):191-214.
- Aviat Space Environ Med. 2008 Dec;79(12):1106-11.
- Int J Gen Med. 2011 Jan 25;4:105-13.
- Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2011 Mar;11(1):1-9.
- Altern Med Rev. 2003 Nov;8(4):359-77.
- J Invest Dermatol. 2002 Apr;118(4):565-72.
- Radiat Environ Biophys. 2007 Mar;46(1):61-8.
- Mol Pathol. 2003 Oct;56(5):270-4.
- Eur J Hum Genet. 2003 Jan;11(1):23-9.
- Acta Biochim Pol. 2004;51(2):405-13.
- Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012 Dec;1826(2):443-57.
- Redox Rep. 2010;15(1):11-9.
- Adv Nutr. 2011 Mar;2(2):78-88.
- Free Radic Biol Med. 2007 Sep 1;43(5):853-9.
- PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6(7):e1729.
- Br J Nutr. 2003 Dec;90(6):1081-5.
- Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Oct;84(4):830-4.
Setria® is a registered trademark of KYOWA HAKKO BIO Co., Ltd.
Dosage and Use
- Suggested daily use is one (1) to three (3) capsules on an empty stomach or as recommended by a medical practitioner.
- Do not exceed recommended intake.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
Product reviews are provided for informational purposes only and reflect solely the views and opinions expressed by the contributors and not those of Life Extension. We do not verify or endorse any claims made in these reviews.