Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) has been called the king of Ayurvedic herbs.
This is a nutrient that is getting more and more popular. Here is why...
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is an exotic herb known as Indian ginseng or winter cherry. Its plant is a short, small shrub with orange berries that resemble tomatoes.
This herb is native to India, Sri Lanka and even throughout Africa and thrives in drier, warmer climates. It has been used in for thousands of years to promote overall health.
Ashwagandha is an adaptogen, meaning it can help the body adapt to stress and provide well-being — and many other benefits.
Stress is tough on both our bodies and minds; it drains our energy. Furthermore, many degenerative diseases as well as premature aging are associated with chronic nervous tension. Ashwagandha is a nutrient that is getting more and more popular, and it's shown to be beneficial for:
- Anxiety, stress & depression relief: Ashwagandha has long been used to reduce anxiety and stress plus support a healthy mood. It can activate the nerve-cell receptors for a calming neurotransmitter called GABA, and in a study of adults, an extract of ashwagandha led to a significant reduction in scores on stress-assessment scales. Moreover, this herb is also shown to relieves symptoms of depression.
- Improved cognitive performance: Scientists have identified specific effects that ashwagandha has on brain activity. In healthy adults, ashwagandha taken daily has been demonstrated to improve cognitive performance — with boosts in reaction time, discrimination, vigilance, and other tests of brain function. Research also indicates that ashwagandha may help protect against dementia.
- Restorative sleep: A human study found that an ashwagandha extract improved restorative sleep by 72%.
- Healthy levels of cortisol: Ashwagandha may help promote already-healthy levels of cortisol, even when you’re reacting to stressful situations. Research has found that the use of this extract was also associated with reduced levels of cortisol in the morning.
- Help maintain blood sugar levels: The root powder of ashwagandha has been shown in clinical studies to support already-healthy blood sugar levels and may promote healthy insulin response.
- Healthy testosterone balance: Ashwagandha is a powerful male health herb because it may help keep testosterone production within a normal, healthy range, supporting healthy hormone balance.
- Powerful antioxidant activity: Extracts of ashwagandha roots and leaves contain a mixture of bioactive compounds, including withaferin A, withanolides, withanosides, and others. These compounds function as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. They also act in other ways to protect the brain from disease.
Ashwagandha is Safe to Use
There is a great need for safe and effective prevention strategies to combat the ravages of stress on our nervous system.
Animal toxicity studies indicate that this remarkable plant is safe and well tolerated.
Out of stock